The time to inquire about benefits is now. Your loved one may qualify for Veteran’s benefits if their spouse was a veteran. It is very important to see what your loved one qualifies for before starting your assisted living search. Many government programs, such as the Veteran’s Association Aid and Attendance Program, take time to process and you may find yourself paying out of pocket for assisted living until your loved one qualifies for a program. The government will not reimburse you for the money spent out of your pocket during your qualification period. Visit your local Senior Center, many of the people you will meet are already benefiting from these programs and there is plenty of literature readily available on the subject. Many financial planning companies can be misleading and shouldn’t be trusted. Your best option is to contact the Veteran’s Association or other Government agencies directly.

If you place your loved one on a waiting list for a VA assisted living or memory care facility and move your parent into a privately owned community in the meantime, make that community aware of your intentions. Communities require a 30 day notice in order to vacate and will not refund the remainder of that month’s rent in the case of an abrupt move. The VA will only give you a week’s notice to make your move, but you should be able to receive a refund if you are clear with your intentions. Also, it is no mistake that I refer to VA assisted livings as ‘facilities’ and not communities.

Choose Salt Lake City Senior Care Advisors

Our advisors have the most experience helping families find senior care in Utah. We use our years of assisted living management knowledge to match you with the perfect community for your loved one. We’ll tour communities with you to ensure all your important questions are answered, and you’re getting a fair price. Contact us today to get started!